The French Research Center in Jerusalem is a joint research unit of
the CNRS and the General Directorate for International Cooperation
and Development (DGCID) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Founded
in 1952 by Jean Perrot as the "Mission archéologique française",
it is the CNRS's oldest foreign branch; in 1974, it became the permanent
French archeological base. Since the 1980s, researchers in a variety
of fields have been working in the framework of bilateral cooperation
programs. Dominique Bourel has been director of the Center since 1996.
The CRFJ hosts CNRS agents, academics and research fellows and works
together with Israeli and French institutions of higher education.
It is supported by the French Institute and the cultural and cooperation
department of the French Embassy. The CFRJ publishes its findings
in various reviews and publications, and organizes monthly seminaries
and yearly symposia.
For a list of publications, seminaries and symposia, see the French
version of this article.