Institut Henri Poincaré : IHP
Joint Service Unit n°839
The Joint Service Units’ aim is not to do research, but to support it.
The Institut Henri Poincaré, Joint Service Unit n° 839, is, and always was, a tool conceived to help mathematicians and physicists.
The Institut Henri Poincaré was founded in 1928, with the help of American funds and a contribution by the family of Edmond de Rothschild. The initial aim, which got active support from G.D. Birkhoff, was to promote French research in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics.
The project of actually realizing a Center is due to Emile Borel (1871-1956). Through his impetus, it soon blossomed. As soon as it opened, it became a privileged meeting place between French and foreign Mathematicians and Physicists.
In 1990, the IHP became an Ecole Interne of the University Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) under contract with the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). Its role as a meeting place for French Mathematicians and Physicists has asserted itself. In particular, it hosts most of the learned societies related to Mathematics.
But it is especially the Centre Emile Borel which makes the IHP internationally famous, comparable to the most prestigious foreign Institutes (Institut Isaac Newton de Cambridge, MSRI in Berkeley or ITP in Santa Barbara).
The Centre Emile Borel organizes, during each term or semester, courses, conferences and seminars, centered on a theme which can attract one or two hundred participants of all nationalities.